Friday 7 August 2009

The Carleton


The Bar, originally uploaded by Fanboy30.

Recently I was contacted by a graphics company called Concrete Orange which I had spoken to around the time I moved to Canada last October. They were currently redoing a website for a local bar/restaurant called The Carleton and needed some interior shots. I gladly took the project even though my style of photography is usually about detail rather than the wide open spaces.

I took two cameras with me, armed with a wide angle, 50mm and zoom lens because you never really know what you will be faced with when entering a shoot blind. I met with the owner Mike whose background is in the music industry and on MTV. He welcomed me warmly and was very excited after seeing my website.

The main areas to shoot were the bar, restaurant and function room so I set up my tripod and composed some test shots using the wide angle. The place is an L shape so it was hard to get the whole space in a single shot so I suggested that if needed I could composite two shots later on Photoshop.

It's very hard to give a still room life, so we added some candles to the bar area to create some ambiance. This was repeated in the function room because the only room that was fully lit was the restaurant.

After two hours and three hundred shots I decided to call it a day. I managed to send Mike eight shots fully processed which he was extremely happy with and asked for a disc of the rest.

The image you see on this post was used for an advert in an in-flight magazine so maybe I will get to see it when I fly home in October for a holiday?

Update: Did another shoot for them this week, this time at night to capture the place busy.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on this, Matt. I hope it leads to more and more...and more. =]

    Gavin

    ReplyDelete