Tuesday 30 June 2009

Autobots Roll Out!

Keeping it very simple (unlike the movie) I see no point in harping on about what I didn't like about Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen because lets face it most of the internet is doing that already.


Young art in its Prime, originally uploaded by Fanboy30.

The movie left me thinking about my childhood and why I continue to think that all these remakes and screen adaptations are souring those fond memories. What I should be asking is are these movies simply evolving over time and trying to attract new and younger audiences?

Its true that the toys are aimed at children and the fanboy's who have been brainwashed into collecting anything associated with robots in disguise. I read noticeboards about where waves of toys have been spotted so fans can race to purchase them, it seems that they aren't fazed by the poor quality of the Fallen toys compared to previous series. I have to admit I even look at the toys each time trying to find some essence of appeal, so far I have resisted.

The series of toys I collect are from the latest animated series which has now been canceled a long with the range of toys. For me this has been a short lived hunt as I only started collecting since Christmas and now that fun has been taken from me. Hasbro are concentrating on the Fallen range until 2010 so its fair to say that in the Transformer world I won't be purchasing many more for quite some time.

Grimlock Starscream

Jazz Swindle



This summer also sees G.I.Joe hit the big screen, the movie looks a lot of fun and I collected the toys but my memories of the show are foggy. Its this reason that makes me realize I shouldn't be so judgmental about Transformers, ultimately its a summer block buster made for 12-25 year old boys. Over the top explosions and slow motion boobs bouncing up and down with some large fighting robots thrown in.
There are rumors that Michael Bay will bow out for the third installment which could save the series but could also reflect the X-men trilogy. Destroying everything that has been built up just so it ends with little possibility of return, this is the power and fickleness Hollywood has.

In the end they still win, because no matter how bad I thought this movie was going to be I still got in line and paid my $9 for 150 minutes of entertainment. The fanboy in me clearly has a louder voice than I give him credit for.

No comments:

Post a Comment