Thursday 14 January 2010

Avatar


11 - Avatar, originally uploaded by Mr. Moog.

I saw Avatar last night in Real 3D and it is the first time that I experienced motion sickness from a movie. The action sequences were amazing and you can forgive the predictable story and corny one liners because I found the whole world mesmerizing. I tried to find fault with the effects and was amazed at how realistic the characters of Pandora were, the motion capture was the best I've seen. Many times I was moved by the emotion and situation the people of Pandora went through and these computer generated aliens showed more emotion than most real actors.

The only problem was I found some of the action so fast paced that in 3D my eyes couldn't focus on what was going on. I had this same problem with the recent Transformers movies although not in 3D, I doubt I could have swallowed the mass of spaghetti metal fighting out of the screen and into my face.
When the credits started to roll I stood up and had a moment of disorientation and feeling of sickness. I looked across at my friend and he had grabbed the seat in front because he was off balance, we both laughed and started shuffling for the exit.

I have also read that some people have become depressed and even suicidal after watching Avatar because the world of Pandora was so idyllic in comparison to the world we live in. I can't say that a movie could ever really have that much effect on me and you would have to be suffering from some sort of chemical off balance beforehand

1 comment:

  1. Thanx for the heads-up, I'm going this weekend and I easily get motion sickness...I'll bring a bag ;-)

    ReplyDelete