Friday 4 June 2010

Oh Canada

It's official, I finally became a permanent resident of Canada after a long 7 month wait.
I couldn't be more pleased although the reality still hasn't sunk in yet due to the long wait of not knowing. The last part of the process was an interview at the local immigration office in town with a friendly lady who put us at ease very quickly. She asked me some routine questions and checked my passport then got me to sign some paperwork and it was done, I have the same rights as a Canadian.

The funny thing is the residency lasts for 5 years before you have to renew it but out of those 5 years you only have to reside in Canada for 2 which seems bizarre to me. You would think it would at least be the majority of the 5 but I don't have any intentions to leave just yet due to money and the state of the UK.

Its weird to think that at last I can relax and enjoy the comfort of knowing that I am allowed to stay. I guess I should learn the national anthem now.....OH CANADA......um???

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the team! So happy for you Matt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you mean by 'state of the UK'? I take it there are reasons you wouldn't return. I'm 19, in the US, and trying to figure out where I'd like to live (it's between the UK and Canada).

    ReplyDelete